Who is McKenna?
In the early 1950s, New Braunfels had a growing healthcare need. H.C. McKenna and other community leaders had the vision and drive to anticipate the city’s continued growth and the demands that it would create for quality local healthcare. The community responded with its support and New Braunfels’ first hospital opened in 1953.
Over time, McKenna Memorial Hospital continued to grow and improve the level of health services available to New Braunfels’ families. The hospital’s service delivery model was constantly evaluated and improved through a tradition of innovative thinking. Around the turn of the century, the McKenna Health System began an initiative to address overall wellness in the community. In 2006, the McKenna Center opened at 801 West San Antonio Street in New Braunfels as a community outreach center, which housed McKenna Children’s Museum, McKenna Events Center, New BraunFit Gym, the McKenna Parenting Program, and Prescription Access.
The sale of McKenna Memorial Hospital in 2008 to a capable organization with extensive resources ensured that the long-term healthcare needs of our community would be met. The sale also provided an additional asset to our community that is significant and far-reaching. It provided the finances needed to create the McKenna Foundation and fulfill its purpose in perpetuity. It has also allowed McKenna to further develop our community outreach programs.